Monday, January 22, 2007

Am I in Control?

In today's society, we like to believe that we are in complete control of our lives. We believe that the decisions that we make everyday are our own and that no one else can control us. For the most part, this is true. When we wake up in the morning, each of us has a number of choices we can make. We can chose to kill someone. We can chose whether or not we want to get up and go to work in the morning. However, for every action there is a consequence. If you chose to kill someone, there is the consequence of being jailed or being put to death. If you chose not to go to work, you risk being fired.
In today's reality, society places constraints on what we can and cannot do. There are social and economic parameters that limit one's decisions. For example, I could buy that Chrysler 300 I always wanted, but if I don't want to become bankrupt, I'd better buy that Geo. In this way, and in many other ways, we as people are not truly 100% in control of our decisions. As moral human beings, we are concerned about how are decisions affect other people. We are also concerned about how are decisions will affect ourselves and our own wants and needs. So, overall, we are technically in control of the choices we make, but we are restricted by the consequences and the controls that our environment and society places on us.

2 comments:

shewboxx said...

I like your point that we are in control of the choices we make however restricted by outside forces like society. However, I do not think that every action has a consequence. If I choose to help a teammate out on the court or a classmate in the classroom then all positive things come from my action.

Elizabeth C said...

Good job Wes. I like how you related it to cars: something we can all relate to. A+ from Liz